Below is a small sampling of program notes I’ve written over the years. Click the works in bold to view and read six of them. For a full listing of notes, click the link below the bulleted list.
- Arutiunian: Trumpet Concerto
- Bach: Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit, BWV 106, “Actus tragicus”
- Bach: Keyboard Concertos (BWV 1056, 1061, 1064, 1065)
- Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 7
- Brahms: Piano Quartet in G minor (arr. Schoenberg)
- Chopin: Variations on “Là ci darem la mano”
- Copland: Clarinet Concerto
- John Corigliano: Violin Sonata
- Duruflé: Requiem
- Handel: Utrecht Jubilate
- Haydn: Symphony No. 104, “London”
- Janáček: Piano Sonata 1.X.1905, “From the Street”
- Ligeti: Sonata for Solo Viola
- Mahler: Piano Quartet
- Mendelssohn: Psalm 42
- Mozart: String Quinet in D major, K. 593
- Poulenc: Trio for Oboe, Bassoon, and Piano
- Esa-Pekka Salonen: Pentatonic Etude
- Schoenberg: Five Pieces for Orchestra
- Turina: La oración del torero
Full listing of program and liner notes
Some notes are available for reprint—with permission—in concert program. To request this and/or commission new program notes, visit the “Contact” page.
© 2017-20, Kevin McBrien. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Kevin McBrien with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.